Thursday, August 13, 2009

Out of the Blue


Although it is the first painting medium usually given to children, watercolor is probably the most difficult to master. Its character is unpredictable - highly fluid, color change is most likely to happen, and it is hard to control. This is my first attempt in watercolor, a blue painting (ala Picasso? haha!).


Again, I used blue-washing, and its the first time I affixed my signature to an artwork; I usually sign at the back.

Three colors - cobalt, and Prussian blue, and burnt sienna. On paper board.

Duration: more than an hour. 08/13/09




6 comments:

  1. u should consider an exhibit. this is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve! You know how much I appreciate your feedback/support. Perhaps,the next time you come here in Manila, we can set one; after all, you volunteered once to be a manager of sort :p

    I'm trying gouache painting this weekend. Any suggestion as to what subject I should try? Do tell.

    PS. Long time no chat! I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see a change of mood in this painting. I've looked through your older works and most of them are rather dark. I don't know if it was deliberately done or not because even if you used bright colors, in some of them, the elements contrast them so much. This one gives off a much lighter feeling. Maybe it's because the person doesn't feel caged (all the others are hugging or covering themselves).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed by such observation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would paint sometimes. and i like using watercolor. because it seems to have its own take on the painting. sometimes you couldn't control how it moves about on the paper. but the effect turns out to be nice naman. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed! watercolor is pretty tricky. Others usually use little water to have better control - but that ain't the proper way to use that medium (better use gouache if you intend to have a better grip of a water-based medium). You are right, you have to let the water move. If acrylic defines quickness and accuracy, oil for versatility and adaptability, watercolor is definitely liberty in action.

    ReplyDelete